CONTRIBUTORY AGED PARENT VISA (SUBCLASS 864) ONSHORE
You might be eligible to apply for a parent category visa if:
- you have a child who is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen
- your child has been living in Australia lawfully for at least 2 years before you lodge your visa application
- you have a sponsor
- you meet the Balance of family test criteria
- you meet health and character requirements.
You will need to have a sponsor to apply for a parent category visa to live in Australia as a temporary or permanent resident.
A sponsor must be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen who:
- is 18 years of age or over
- has lived in Australia lawfully for at least two years before the parent lodges their visa application.
Length of stay
There are special provisions for a sponsor under 18 years of age.
These provisions are explained in the visa options below.
What you can do
Global processing times