You will need a relative visa if you want to move to Australia and live here permanently because:

  • you are aged and financially dependent on a relative who lives here, or
  • your and your partner’s only remaining relatives live here and you want to be near them.

If you only want to visit Australia for a short or temporary period of time, you will need  a different kind of visa. Find out more about visas to visit Australia.


You may be eligible to apply for a relative visa if:

  • You are related to:
    • An Australian citizen, or
    • An Australian permanent resident, or
    • An eligible New Zealand citizen
  • The person you are related to is 18 years of age or older

Length of stay

You should be aware that not many people are eligible for relative visas. Please read the scenarios below for more information.

What you can do

Global processing times

Point Score