The Partner visas (subclasses 309 and 100) allow the partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia.

The temporary Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) is granted first and lets you stay in Australia while the permanent Partner (Migrant) visa (subclass 100) is processed.

Note: The documents you need to provide can be found under “Follow these steps”.


You must be married or in a de facto relationship with:

  • an Australian citizenn
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Your marriage must be valid under Australian law. This means you must have parental permission if you are 16 or 17 years of age.

You must have been in a de facto relationship for at least 12 months

Length of stay

  • On the temporary 309 visa, you can stay until a decision is made about your permanent Partner visa (subclass 100).
  • On the permanent 100 visa, you can stay permanently.

What you can do

Global processing times

  • 309: 75 per cent of applications processed in 13 months

  • 100: 75 per cent of applications processed in 21 months

Point Score